Saturday, October 06, 2007

Britain's Pretty Cool I Guess...

There certainly isn’t a lack of beautiful women in England. From all nationalities, most programmed with British accents, the plethora of available women is overwhelming. I’ve also never seen so many that aren’t married. At home, I’d say that at least half if not more of the women you encounter on the street or see at the store or out at a bar are married. And that doesn’t mention the ones that are nearly married or are dating. Here, if you see a girl with a guy, that’s pretty common. But if you see a wedding ring on the finger, you’re witnessing the unusual. Maybe they just don’t wear wedding rings. Either way, it doesn’t help being lonely in a new city. Haha, Ron Burgundy. I’m not saying that I can’t have a good time by myself, but if it was difficult at home, it’s definitely going to be more so here.

The other thing I don’t like about this place is that since all the buildings are tall, you can’t see past two blocks at a time, erasing any possibility of giving yourself a center point or point of reference from which to derive north, south, east and west. I tried going to vespers tonight at a Russian cathedral in Kensington. I got to the station, and of course, as soon as I walk outside, I can’t tell where the hell I’m going. So I ask directions. He is a French man who can’t give directions or speak so I can understand him. This has happened every time I ask for directions. It’s not a British person I get, and I can’t understand what they are saying. I start walking a while in the direction he told me. I eventually came to the next underground station. I check the map, find where I want to go, walk to the street I think will take me there, and turn the direction it said on the map. I walk and eventually I’ve gone full circle back to where I got off the tube, and decided I went the wrong way. Great. Whatever, I’ll just try again tomorrow for Liturgy, and this time, I’ll go the other way. Hopefully, I’ll find it. The only map I’ve picked up only gives you major streets and will only give you half of the city. So somehow, I need to find a map. If I don’t, I’m going to continue getting lost and unable to find my way around. If I could walk out of a station, and know which way I’m walking, I’d be fine. Oh well, I’ll figure it out later.

We live for the weekend at home. Here, I just want the weekend to be over. Half the shops and stores close during the weekends, and all I want to buy right now is a mobile phone. The only other thing I really want to do is find my job and a place to live so I can get out of the hostel. As nice as it is, psyche, I can’t wait to get my own place. A place where I can lay down and not be scared that my laptop, which is charging, will get stolen. A place where I can actually keep some food so I don’t have to pay £10 for every meal. A place where I can leave my clothes out so they can unwrinkle!!! A place that doesn’t have people coming in every 10 minutes turning on the lights, saying “Sorry, lads!,” and being loud while I’m trying to sleep. Oh, boy, I’m hungry. I’m now going to attempt to go to a pub, buy some food and a beer, and sit down and eat it, by myself! That probably won’t work because I have never been able to do that. I wonder if that’s the real me; being insecure and whatnot. I do know that I’m not really as confident as I come off being. I think people at home would think that I wouldn’t have any problem meeting new people on my own and just having fun. I can have fun, but I’d rather do it with good friends that I know and love. If I’m going to be by myself, which I don’t mind, I’d rather not do it around other people. You know? I’d much rather be by myself in the mountains or in the country than in the middle of a pub. Either way, I hope everything changes. Mostly just for the sake of change, but also for my own benefit in this large city.

Ok, still hungry, so I’ll see you all later. Cheers!

And by the way, right now it’s 7:17, and it’s pitch black outside. Right now, you all still have at least six hours, if not more

6 comments:

Jonathan said...

Mr. Leb.

You are blogging in London. That's neato. Well, I suspected it might be a little rough at first. But, once you start to settle in, it's only going to get more and more exciting for you.

I know it. No. Don't argue.

Just hang in there...and if you happen to meet a beautiful Irish dame or other, you will be one step closer to full-fledged nitt-wi**erdom. Seriously, I asked the Grand Poo-bah about it.

*Cough*

Um...okay, keep us updated on your adventures across the pond.

Buuuuuuuyeeee.

Chief Tim said...

Hey boyfriend,

It is always easier to be fun and outgoing with people you already know there to watch you do it. I feel like I'm a nerd who doesn't like any social interaction out here. I'm quiet all the time. Get a job! You have a degr... wait a minute, you have valuable experience! I'm rooting for you either way. Get 'er done. I love you.

Tim

Unknown said...

Cal,

I hear you.. big time. It SUUUCKS being by yourself in a big city, and 10 times more so in a big city where you don't really speak the language or know your way around. I'll bet the lack of sleep isn't helping much either. Anyway, be encouraged. You're doing what you've always talked about doing - something that not a lot of people can say these days. And remember that at these times when you are with yourself so much, you are all that much closer to the Kingdom of God. As Fr. Antonio said this last Sunday quoting from the Fathers, "The Kingdom of God is within you." It's gonna be some tough times for sure here in the beginning, but do your best to find a park or someplace where you can be quiet with yourself, and pray. God is with you everywhere, and that can be a very comforting thing to remember.

Love you,
Joeliver

Arthur said...

'Leb,

Dangit, I knew I forgot to mention maps. I may still have a very good map of London somewhere, but that won't help you much now. No worries though, soon others will be asking you where the nearest tube station is and you'll laugh to yourself as you purposely give them the wrong directions (bloody tourists). Don't you love that "Please mind the gap." I love that!

Also, when I was in London and wanting to be alone with my thoughts or whatever, one of my favorite places was the Millenium Bridge. Just go right to the middle of it and stare out at the Thames. Kids on ferries will wave to you every time. It's also awesome at night. I think St. Paul's is on one side of the bridge and the Tate Modern is on the other. Both places you should visit.

Anyways, I hope you're enjoying yourself. Be sure to visit the free museums.

Chris said...

Man, I hate not knowing which way is north. And it would be even worse not knowing where the nearest church was. It would be like not being able to find God in a way (even though that seems silly because you don't need a church to be with God). But I'm sure it gives a glimps to how those who don't know God feel all the time throughout their life.

If only there were like this little thing that always told you which way north was. Maybe it would have like an "N" on it, and a little stick that like floated or something that you could turn the thing until the stick pointed at the N and then you would know north... Like, maybe you could carry it in your pocket or something... That would be awesome...

Good luck buddy! Try to accentuate the positive and deaccentuate the negative. This is your one chance for this, so enjoy as much as possible. I know it's lonely, and it's probably kind of surprising to realize that (as my grandma says) to find how sweet your home may be, just go away but keep the key...

We miss you, but it's going to be neat to vicariously live a fantasy through you. Keep us updated, and keep your chin up.

GLHF!

Luke Beecham said...

Dude, sounds familiar. I'm sure you'll meet some good Brits once you find the church and maybe make some contact. I understand where you're at. I'm glad you're there though, and I'm envious - it's a good place to be and a good time in your life to be there. :-) Good luck with the job. I'm sure that will give some normalcy as well. Hopefully Jan and I will be able to visit in Spring. We miss you here, and will continue to remember you in our prayers.

Oh, and above all, KEEP EXPLORING AND HAVE FUN!!!

~LB