Thursday, October 11, 2007

Well, Mates...

London is certainly growing on me, especially once I learn where I'm actually going. Last night was quite a fun night. I went to a "pub meet" with some other people from my program and had some great conversation with some Canadians (you wouldn't believe how many there are here, every other person who isn't French is Canadian), a Brit, and a Norwegian. After a Guinness and my first bitter - London's Famous Ale, which ended up being a cask ale, so I'll have to get used to that - I headed home to go to bed. Before I had left I was talking with some Fins in my room and I came home to them drinking small bottles of Absolut with some Aussie's, just having a fun time. We all started talking and really, this world is small. Just the fact that we all hear of the same actors, the same music, same movies. One of the Fins was making fun of Elijah Wood in one of my favorite movies, Green Street Hooligans, saying he couldn't take him seriously in the fight scenes because, "seriously, who's going be scared of Frodo?" I was cracking up. Getting the Australian girls to talk like California girls (Oh my gawsh! That sweater is so hot! I need a cig - a - rot!), and having them all tell me they hate George Bush. Finland has mandatory army regulations, so once you turn 18 as a male, you have to serve for at least a year, do civil service "like work in a library, and who the f%$# wants to do that?," or go to prison for six months. Interesting laws. However, they can go to university for free. Joel (yo-ehl) and Timo (teem-o) were pretty amazed at how we had to pay to go to school if we wanted more after high school. They both spoke a little German, were fluent in Sweden (and therefore, in Norwegian, since it's basically the same apparently), and English. All are basically mandatory. Danielle, an Aussie, spoke a little Greek and German, and Tahnee didn't speak anything besides English. I sat there and felt like an ignorant American who didn't know anything about them, and they knew quite a bit about America. They all called me America and I made fun of Finland's President for looking like Conan O'Brien. That made for interesting conversation.

So all in all, thanks for the encouragment, fellas. You're all great mates and I can't wait to come home and share all my stories. I can't wait for the day when airfare is free and we'll all come over and have some Guinness and bitters and fish and chips and bangers and mash and talk and have men's group at a pub in London, or Oxford, or wherever. I miss you guys, but not enough to come home until four days before P. runs off and marries my sister.

Today I go to Oxford for an interview at a hotel. J. made a good point in the fact that I might meet some pretty sweet people checking in and out of Oxford. And I'm sure it would be neat because this hotel has an average stay of £125 a night, in the off season, so it seems like a pretty nice place. The other place I had interviewed for was near Buckingham Palace and paid £14/hr. This one pays £6.75/hr, which would be great if accommodation was included, but it's not. So I'm still hanging on for the AmEx job near B. Palace, bu soon I'll be taking whatever I can get.

Right now, I'm homeless, but I just (LUCKILY!!) scored a place tonight-Sunday night for less than I was paying at my current hostel. So hopefully that goes well, and I can find a job and a place next week.

Is this crazy? Am I really blogging out of the biggest city in the world? Not to mention the most expensive? It's starting to sink in to my brain, but I don't think it really will until today when I finally leave the city. I haven't left yet, so today will be a great experience. My first trip into Scotland or Ireland (hopefully soon) will be even more exciting. But, again, I have to live in the now, because in no time at all, I'm going to be sitting at my sister's wedding thinking, "Where the hell am I? Am I back home? Already?!?" So here's to the now fellas, Timios!! I'll have a pint for you in Oxford, and hopefully I can take some great pics, and be able to find C.S. Lewis' place and everything. Whoo hoo! Cheers, Mates!

7 comments:

Jonathan said...

That's great, man! I remember my first morning in Paris last year. I was sitting in the bar at my hostel and just talking to all these different young people there. There was a girl from Australia, a interesting guy from Rotterdam, some guy who had traveled all the way from Brazil, and some Americans. One of the guys just happened to be somebody I recognized from the music school at IU, who just randomly happened to be there when I was...it was crazy!

We are all just chatting, having a good time. A lot of them were in Europe for the World Cup, but it was awesome how many different people from all over the world were there in that little bar. Fortunately for me, they all spoke English fairly well.

That's one of the things I've loved the most about traveling abroad---the people you meet and the random conversations you have. That's awesome that you've already met a bunch of people.

I can't wait till--hopefully--I can come out there and visit.

Counting down the days till spring....

Arthur said...

You are a magnificent bastard.

Luke Beecham said...

48/49 St. Giles St. - The Eagle and Child pub. Make it a point to go there if you can. I highly recommend it. :-) Also, if you have time, I'd strongly suggest making a pilgrimage to Jack's grave. It's a beautiful little trip, and the churchyard is small and quiet.

Hope the interview goes well. Miss ya!

Luke Beecham said...

Oh - and I'm gonna have to agree with Arthur... ;-)

Unknown said...

Yes, have a pint for us! I wanna come over and have it myself though, dangit!!

Joshua said...

Oxford would be an amazing place to live. Yaamb, without a doubt.

Unknown said...

Wow...sounds like your having a blast. I think I am jealous a little. Ok...alot.