Friday, February 15, 2008

Crawfordsville on the National Map

Is it sad that I'm a 23 year-old male who enjoys doing manly things like chopping wood and drinking Stroh's (alright, I don't ENJOY Stroh's but because everybody's doing it...) and I'm going to do a post now about American Idol? Doesn't really matter because I'm going to do it anyway. We all know what American Idol is and most of us, by now at least, have an opinion of the show overall. Some watch it for the embarrassment that ensues in the first few shows of the original auditions by our nation's tone-deaf singers, with a dash of the excellent and pretty darn good intermixed. Some really enjoy the actual singing and spend money on texting their votes in for their favorite singers. Some stand in line for hours to get tickets to be in the studio audience. I wouldn't really consider myself an avid fan of the show, but I respect those who try out and I do enjoy watching the few people who really capture the stage and can perform well and can actually sing as well. Last year I really enjoyed watching the beat-boxing Blake Lewis when I could, and I've youtubed a couple of his songs from last year, and I really do enjoy this dude's stage presence. He hasn't made it in the big-time yet, and I doubt he will, but for awhile, he was a star. It's guys like him that make you want to audition for the show and possibly see if there's something you can contribute as well.

This year will be different for my viewing schedule. I'm going to watch every single episode this year. A Crawfordsville, Indiana native, Luke Menard, is in the top 24 of the show and since he was a role model for me growing up (PRIDE and just in general as a cool dude) and since his years in the a cappella group Chapter 6, I've always been a fan. He's simply a nice guy, he's got his head on straight, he's good looking and he's just a fun person to be around. The town of Crawfordsville will be mentioned several times on national television in the coming weeks, and it's pretty cool to know where he comes from and who his parents are and who the music teacher is that he will mention when he's interviewed about when he first started singing (cause they all do that interview). I just figured I'd give a little congrats to Luke on my piddly online journal guy thingie, and if you read this and watch and enjoy Luke performing, then I'll have done my part. Good luck, Luke! And for the fun of it, here's a good performance last year by Blake Lewis, courtesy of American Idol.

2 comments:

Bradjward said...

Small world. I found your blog via Brian McCulloh. When I lived in Illinois, I was in small group with Chuck Bosworth, who is another member of Chapter 6. I didn't know about this, so thanks for taking negative points in the man column and posting :)

Caleb said...

haha... THANKS... and yeah that's a VERY small world. I now know you through Brian OR through Luke who knows Chuck who knows you. Yeah, small world. And yeah, I've already stacked up so many points in the man column that I was due to take a hit.